Place where pandavas used to live are now producing allure cotton and silk sarees. These sarees have retained their charm, beautiful colour, Zari work and simple, elegant motifs work. There is chettiar community who weaves these eye-catching Varanasi sarees. People are attracted towards these sarees due to fabric and softness. Every lady dream of having Varanasi saree in their wardrobe as priced possession.
- Sarees can be worn for daily and special occasions.
- Varanasi sarees compliment and accentuate a woman and her inner beauty.
- Temple festivals form the south indian culture foundation.
- These temple festivals give the opportunity to wear cotton or silk sarees.
- Ladies wear golden border sarees on festivals like Pongal and onam.
- Sarees include heavy Zari work.
- Slightly toned and zari work alongside contrasting colour create moderate yet fancy look.
- Every region has its own style of saree and way they are draped.
- These drapes signify the culture, tradition.
- Sarees given GI Tag to bridge the gap by creating saree labels that show weaver origin.
- Create sense of mystery and uniqueness around sarees by making them exclusive and special.
- Weavers have outdone themselves in their creative limits when it comes to designs and aesthetics of saree.
- Varanasi sarees are divided into three type of weaves –
- Plain weave saree – plain cotton thread with Zari border as pallu are contrasting and striped pallu with zari. Checks are also used as layout of saree.
- Dobby weave saree- cotton and silk cotton saree have their own beauty. If and when dobby weave is used, it is filled by small motifs. There are other motifs also.
Different challenges are faced by Weavers and entire handloom industry.
- Government spending is going for agricultural sector and prominent sectors due to which loom industry is ignored. It faces lack of financial facilities.
- Commercial banks have failed to provide resources.
- Due to scarcity of yarn, there is unexpected sprout in power looms.
- Need for government to supply yarn to handloom industry. There is challenge in process of selling.