This Thewa art piece is special jewellery piece were delicate work of gold on multi-coloured glass material. The art was born in Pratapgarh. This art existence started in Mughal Age and carry it’s elegance in colonial age time period and Modern India.
The most beautiful art piece was found in Metropolitian museum in New York which has been made by Mathura Lak Soni ji. This beautiful art piece has its presence in Geological Museum in London. The patterns in this lattice work are inspired from nature and mythology.
- Usage of the art is to decorate the chests and boxes which are gifted to royalty.
- Craftsmen expertise have extended to photo frames, mirrors, cufflinks, brooches, trays, played and personal accessories like rings and necklaces are worn by both genders alike.
- The prices of gold have skyrocketed which had led to pocket friendly value and design.
- Use of gold is minimal; the final product will give a gold rich ornamental piece.
- Small photo frame will require 5-6gms of gold but it will give an illusion of gold feast to eyes. The procedure is fond n daylight.
- Beauty of the lies in the fact that there are few raw materials and amount of work and skill that goes into handcrafting each pieces adds immense value to it.
- Soni are particular about craft done by ancestors. The art is passed from one generation to another. The training starts from way age of ten for the boys.
- Won 9 national awards and displayed in metropolitan museum of art in London
- 23 karat gold is traded with patterns which are inspired from mythological, religious or depicting daily events.
- Inspiration is from miniature paintings. Certain motifs reflect events like hunting scenes, kings and patrons.
- Mythological figures are also used.
- Blended different techniques like meenakari and diamond setting with various other materials like beads and threads to give contemporary flavour.
- This jewelry is more in trend today than other traditional and favoured patterns.
- Skill of making this art is family secret. It is a well-known craft.
- Kids of new generation is moving away from this craft. So, after few years, this art would become extinct. Daughters and son in laws are kept aloof to avoid this skill to spread out.
- Researchers are not even exact details of this craft. Therefore, art is not able to reach up to widespread communities.